Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Some more changes and a correction

First of all I need to make a correction.  The Commissary DOES have frozen vegetables!  Apparently when we went shopping the first day we totally missed part of the frozen food section.  I'm gonna chalk that one up to jetlag, being exhausted, and having only been in Italy for 5 hours. lol.

Next order of business is. . . I cooked the fresh green beans that I had to de-string then cook from raw and they turned out good.  We don't have any seasoning except salt and butter so I've not been using any when I cook and food actually tastes pretty good.  They sell seasoning here I just have decided not to buy any since I tend to season EVERYTHING and I really just want to taste food as it here.

I'm sure most of you already knew this but the units of measure are in metrics so the temp is read in Celsius (it's about 20C here right now, that's 68F). Distance is meters instead of feet so the sign in front of most of the buildings saying "no smoking within 50 ft of building" also reads in Italian saying no smoking within 15 meters of building (the actual conversion is 15.24 meters so if you are reading it inItalian you can stand a few inches closer to the building than people reading in English, lol)  The speed is read in Kph (kilometers per hour) so when we were in the taxi today and the driver was going 145Kph we were doing 90MPH! No wonder I got car sick from the back seat! Ugh!! The time is read in Military time or astronomical time basically meaning the 24 hour clock versus the 12 hour AM/PM time we use in America.  I'm ok with figuring that out but it still takes me a second to convert it on certain numbers (ie: 13:00 = 1pm, 22:00 = 10pm, 24:00 or 0:00 = midnight, etc). 

Another thing I'm going to have to adjust to is the floor levels.  Here in Italy the bottom (1st) level is floor 0 and the second level is floor 1, 3rd level floor 2, etc. On the elevator in the Lobby of the Inn when we push button 3 for the third level is stops on the third level but the elevator reads that we are on the 2nd floor. It's strange.  When we first got here we just stood there when it stopped & said 2 and were like WTH is wrong with this elevator! then pressed 3 like a million times and nothing happened. Lol- we finally realized what was going on and thank God no one was around bc I'm sure we looked like idiots!

I got confused again today baout the floor levels when we went to look at an apartment.  The guide said the apartment was on the 2nd floor so when we walked up the first flights of stairs I expected him to stop but Nope. . . 1 more flight of stairs because 2nd floor actually means 3rd level. Blah! I'm sure I'll get use to it.

We realized before we even came here that most of the apartments and houses do not have carpet so when we arrived at a apartment about 15 minutes out of Vicenza today we were not surprised to find cold 1x1 tile in each room.  We also had been told that the rooms/houses were smaller here in Italy than in America. Unfortunantly, this too was true. The livingroom/dining/kitchen shared a space and was about 13x16ft with a little 4x10ft patio. The bedroom was maybe 10x11ft, the bathroom was good sized with a stand alone sink (just sink, no counter space), toilet, bidet toilet, & detached round tub & shower (I'll have to find a really wide shower curtain to go around that entire tub/shower). The master bedroom was more normal sized for a master. I'm gonna guess it was about 12x12ft with a door leading out onto another patio.  There are no closets but there is a bonus 'room' that's about 5x7ft that can be used as a closet I guess.  We also saw the garage. It was in the basement (I guess that's called floor -1, lol) it too was normal sized for a single car.

We are going tomorrow to see if we can look at another place. If we can't, the place we looked at today may be our new home (yay, sort of, lol).  I took a few more pictures today on the death ride. . . I mean the taxi drive to look at the apartment until my camera battery went so dead that it wouldn't even turn on anymore. I did order one a few days ago so HOPEFULLY it will come soon.  I'm suffering from a mild case of PTSD I think over the taxi drive and a little still from the bus ride from the airport so I'll talk more about those experiences another time. It's 7:36pm here (19:36) so we are gonna eat a snack and TRY to go to bed soon. Jetlag or whatever it's called is still kicking our butts. We are tired all day and not sleeping good at night still. Blah. . . Buona notte!

No comments:

Post a Comment