Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Things to bring if you are traveling or perhaps moving to Italy


We’ve been in Italy almost a month now and I’ve been making a list of things one should bring (or make a priority to buy when first getting here) if one were to travel here.  I’ll explain why you need each item as I go.

First, You’ll need adapters for your electronics like cell chargers, hair straighteners, etc. . . You can buy them here or before you leave the states. We found a multi-pack at Walmart with the luggage before we left the states but didn’t buy them. In Italy the voltage of a general wall outlet is 220 which is higher than in the USA. I thought before I got here “OMG I’m gonna forget one day and plug an American electronic in the European wall and electrocute myself!”. Luckily for me I no longer have to worry because the outlets look way different and it’s impossible to even plug American plugs into European outlets. The European outlets are two round holes, one on top and one on bottom and a smaller one in between all in a straight horizontal line. As you all know, in America, there are two slots side by side and a roundish hole in the middle below the two slots. So obviously, it is impossible to plug either one into the other. If you are military and buy these things on post they are $3.95 each. They have surge protectors with multiple ports that cost more but I’m not sure how much more. Also if you are Military and live in the Villaggio Military Housing, the walls are equipped with the American style outlets and European outlets. Other houses & hotels we’ve seen and heard about off post only have the European outlets.
Second thing I suggest you bring are socks or slippers. Besides the hotel we stayed in, all the floors, living room, bedroom, bathrooms, etc are tile and it’s cold. Not only that but unless you sweep like every hour there will be little pieces of dirt or dust or whatever that sticks to your feet when you walk. I don’t know about you but that grosses me out! It’s not so bad just walking around but when I get into bed and all that crap rubs off my feet into the bed I just cringe! Yuck!! & the socks/slippers need to have rubber soles if you are visiting a person with stairs in their home! I almost busted my A$$ coming down my tile stairs in plain socks.
While you are packing socks remember to bring a good pair of walking shoes. Yes there are various ways to get around in Italy if you don’t have a car but the main one for tourists is walking or riding public transit which still requires quite bit of walking. Some days we’ve walked more than 10 miles but on a normal day touring the city I’d say we walk about 3-4 miles. It’s pretty flat here in Vicenza so it’s nothing too strenuous but just the amount of walking will traumatize your feet without the right shoes. I’ve gone from wearing 3” heels 5 days a week to wearing tennis shoes or sandals 7 days a week! The walking isn’t too bad but since the Roads/sidewalks in the city centers and downtowns are mostly brick and broken concrete, pushing a stroller can sometimes be difficult. If you decide to rent a car for long distances that is great but there are many areas in the towns where you can’t drive and very few areas that you can park so it’s not very convenient to have a car especially if you are touring a city center or downtown square. I heard from multiple people that parking in Venice is 20 to 26 Euro per day! (that’s over $30). The few parking areas in Vicenza that I’ve seen are 1.50 Euro per hour ($2.25/hr). You also must have a pass to even drive in some parts of Italy near historic building and in city centers. This is to help reduce pollution around city, keep the streets clean, reduce road deconstruction, and preserve the buildings. Ok I’m getting off topic! I’ll explain more about the roads and driving in a later blog. . .
The next thing I’d suggest bringing or buying when you get here is a satchel that closes tightly and can be worn across your torso or a fanny pack. Ok! OK! I hear you all laughing! A FANNY PACK??!! I forgot to mention in an earlier blog that another large crime issue are the gypsies pick-pocketing. Some squares and outdoor markets are very crowded and people are bumping into you like it’s nothing (Italians are non apologetic about this and it’s just part of their culture to push and shove or bump into others) so it would be easy for someone to reach into your purse or grab something from you without you even noticing. Fanny packs as you know are kept right around your waist and the ‘pack’ part right on your front so a pick-pocketer would have to work pretty hard to get something out of that without your knowing. If you choose this option make sure the buckle in the back is hid under your shirt or something so no one can unsnap it then grab it as it’s falling from you and run. The thing I use is a large purse, more like a hobo Bag. All my stuff sits in the very bottom of the bag and it zips completely closed so no one can get in there un noticed. This is somewhat risky because someone could jerk it from my shoulder so I hold it tightly with my hand or wrap it twice around my arm to prevent this. The Satchel that hangs across the body is probably the best idea. It is almost impossible to have it jerked from you unless the straps are flimsy and break. As long as it zips or closes another way tightly then this is the option I’d suggest. Outdoor markets & shops here sell purses, backpacks, and many other variety of bags for between 10 and 30 Euro. Of course some places are more expensive than that but I usually skip them because I refuse to pay more than about $30/$40 for a bag. I bought my hobo bag from JCPenny before I came. It was only $17 (75% off) I LOVE their sales! I’ll explain more about Markets and shopping later. There are some sellers that you should NOT buy from for risk of being fined by the Police!
Another VERY important thing to bring is good hair conditioner! The water here is HORRIBLE! It has completely fried my hair. My hair was all dry and crinkled on the ends and it was splitting and little pieces started breaking off. About a week after being here is when I first noticed it. I was about to throw my hair straightener away but then later, on the bus, I heard a girl talking about the water here being terrible and how it has ruined her hair too! I’ve noticed it on Amber’s hair as well. I’ve switched to a high protein shampoo and then I’ve been leaving the conditioner in my hair about 5 minutes then rinsing it with insanely cold water. It’s been 2 weeks since I noticed the damage and my ‘treatment’ seems to be working. It’s still really dry but not crinkled or breaking as much.
Along with the hair conditioner you better pack some well hydrating body lotion. Since I’ve moved here, I’ve had to lube up parts of my body I’ve never had to apply lotion to before! Again, it’s because of the water. Poor Amber’s mild eczema seems to be bothering her more here and Jonathan and I were ashier than we’ve ever been before we bought the lotion. I was using Bath & Body works stuff but I’ve had to use so much of it a little travel size bottle only lasted me about 1 day & that stuff ain‘t cheap! Sorry but I can’t afford spending $3.50 a day on body lotion. We’ve switched to Suave. It seems to be working.
The water isn’t the only ‘resource’ that seem different here. The air is different too. As you’ve read in some of my last posts, my allergies are acting crazy here! Other people I’ve talked to are having the same problem. I’ve tried Claritin and Tylenol Sinus but the best thing I’ve used so far is Zyrtec. If you have allergies or sinus problems then you should pack some Zyrtec. Everything is more expensive here and unless you are in the PX or Commissary most things are in Italian so any medication you can bring from home I’d suggest bringing. Also the air is causing my contacts to act up. I usually can leave in my Acuvue 2’s for a few days (against Dr. orders, lol) but here I have to take them out every night or I can’t even open my eyes in the morning and my head is pounding!
Next important thing is, if you want to call the states bring or buy a phone card when you arrive. We found out the hard way that certain cell carriers do not allow their phones to work in other countries (Ie. Sprint). Jonathan was going to keep his cell from the States on for a few days when we first got here just incase we had an emergency but unfortunately when we stepped off the plane and turned it on there was no service. From what I understand he told the cell company we were moving overseas and he wanted to use his phone a few days over here but no one bothered to tell him that was not possible. Some cell companies will allow you too use your phone over seas for a fee (monthly flat charge and/or per call charge up to $3/$4 per minute). I suggest just buying a phone card when you get here. The ones I’ve seen range from $5 to $20 and the rate to call America from Italy is usually between 16 and 30 cents per minute. DON’T USE A PHONE BOOTH THOUGH! Phone booths charge a fee to use them even if you use a phone card. Also if you are here and use a cell phone from the states, you will be charged on your cell bill for the call even if you use the phone card. If you are staying in a hotel the room phones should allow you to use phone cards at no extra charge. The reception desk may have a courtesy phone that allows phone cards too. Another way to call America from Italy is the Magic Jack I’ve heard. I packed mine with household good so I’ve not tried it from Italy yet but I’ll let you know when I do. (to use Magic Jack make sure your computer is online then Magic jack hooks into a USB port of your computer and then you plug a telephone into the magic jack and you have a land line. It worked great when I was in the states).
I’m sure you know the rumor with most places other than America is ‘Don’t Drink the Water!’ Well here, we’ve been drinking the water since day one with no problems. Other’s I’ve talked to say the water upsets their stomachs so if you think there might be a problem you should pack a stomach soother or anti-diarrhea medication just incase.
The people here in most tourist spots speak English but I think learning a few simple phrases is very important incase you are in a situation with someone who doesn’t speak Italian. Carrying a translation book with you is a good idea too. I’ll elaborate in another blog about words and phrases I’ve found most important to learn before coming here. Some may surprise you.
Even though it’s not very safe, I’d suggest you bring some cash too. Airports can convert your Dollars to Euro but most places only accept euro, not debit or credit cards. For Military members, on post, there are two different ATMs. One charges .50 the other one is owned by Community Bank (something like that) and it’s free to withdraw dollars or euro no matter what bank you bank with. I’ll explain the reason u should bring cash and the big deal about using your credit/debit cards and ATMs in another post.

The last few things are pretty obvious things to remember to bring like your camera, back up batteries or your battery charger (again you will need an electronic adapter). Copies of your passport and ID in case your lose the original. If you don’t bring your cell then write down phone numbers out of it for people you might want to call when you are here. It’s crazy how much I relied on my phone to remember numbers for me. I’ve had to email close family members from the states for their numbers because I can’t for the life of me remember them simply because I’ve not actually dialed the NUMBER in years (I always dial by name on my cell).
That’s all I can think of right now but you know I’ll update you with anything else we find that might be useful. Arrivederci for now!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your posts!!! We are moving to Italy in July and your posts are the stuff I want to know. I am still wondering about bringing my appliances (ie blender, toaster, can opener, microwave, etc)? But I bet you will know more when you get all of your things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa, We live at the Villaggio which is considered the 'on-post' housing here at Camp Ederele even though it is off post. We have american and European outlets here. We plug our laptop computers, a little tv we bought at the thrift store and my hair straightener into the outlets so far and everything is working fine. If you live on the economy you can buy a transformer which allows you to plug your american appliances into it. I've not seen one yet but I'm sure google should help give you an idea of which appliances they would accommodate. The thrift store on post has a big sign that says they sell transformers so buying them when you get here is what I suggest. I'd say DON'T bring your washer and dryer. The rental units I've seen in the economy and on post have washer and dryers already installed. I hope this helps! Good luck on your move!

    ReplyDelete