Friday, May 13, 2011

Toilets (AKA- the Hole), Beer vending machines, and $2 box wine

 
I don’t really have a theme for this weeks blog but I guess you could call it a random one.  I just wanted to explain some of the crazy things we’ve experienced since coming here.  One being the Toilets. . .

Luckily in most places I’ve been there have been public bathrooms.  Not so luckily in most places there is no soap and the towels is a piece of cloth on what looks like a paper towel dispenser but it just goes around in a circle when you pull it so the same piece of cloth is used for very person who needs to dry their hands there.  I’ve also been warned that some places do not have toilet paper!  I’ve not experienced any of those yet but I have started packing klennex in my purse just in case.

In one of our experiences I took Amber to a restroom inside a restaurant we were eating at.  The sign to the restroom simply said ‘Toilet’ and there was no door, just doors to the stalls and if someone was sitting at the table next to the restroom enterance they could more than likely hear and smell everything you are doing in there!  When we walked into one of the stalls I heard what sounded like a man peeing in the stall beside us.  That’s when I realized the restroom was not gender separated.  When Amber finished her business we walked out of the stall just as the man was walking out of his stall right next to us.  Amber didn’t say anything but I she gave the guys a look like ‘what are you doing in the girl’s bathroom?’  There was one sink for 3 stalls so the man waited as I washed our hands.  Thank goodness they had soap but no paper towels just a hand dryer which I‘m sure half the restaurant could hear us using.  I must admit it was strange standing in a bathroom having just finished our business and washing our hands with a man standing next to us!!

Unfortunately that was not our strangest bathroom experience.  On another occasion we were in a self service restaurant (where you all crowd at the bar & order your food by yelling it out) and as usual, Amber had to use the bathroom.  The sign said toilet again but this time it had a door separating it from the rest of the eatery.  We entered and everything looked nice. A double sink to wash up in, paper towels, and soap!  When we walked into a stall I about choked!  There was no toilet, just a hole in the floor with tile around it and some slip proof stuff designating where to put your feet.  I quickly closed the door and opened the next one hoping that there was a toilet in there.  No such luck.  The hole in the ground was the only toilet they had.  So considering I had a four year old who can’t hold it to pee more than about 10 minutes I had no other choice but to use the hole.  I tried to explain to Amber to squat but she wasn’t getting it so I (against everything in me) decided I needed to do it first so she could understand how.  I pulled down my pants and squated over the hole.  It was not too bad, kind of like camping, lol.  I did get really grossed out when I almost fell and had to brace myself on the wall.  I’m pretty sure it was covered in dried pee splatters from the men who used that hole.  Amber went after me and did ok. I helped her squat and almost stepped into the hole trying to stand her back up!  To flush the hole there is a button on the wall that you push.  Ok enough potty talk, I’m getting grossed out again!

Someone told me that it’s probably not a good idea to give the OK hand signal. Ya know the one with your index and thumb touching and remaining fingers pointed upwards.  Apparently this means ‘A** hole’ to Italians.  I’ve never done it but I can see myself doing it one day by mistake had I not known this!

At the Commissary I saw a BOX of wine for about $2 ! I don’t drink wine (yet) but I’m assuming $2 is pretty cheap.  Considering Soda is like $1.50 at the Commissary and like 2.50 Euro or more if you get it at a restaurant and there are NO free refills.

I’ve noticed there is an abundance of churches in this area. Luckily only one church with functioning church bells in each town though.  The bells ring what seems like every day light hour, usually on the half hour, before mass, after mass, and one time it was like 2:45pm on a Tuesday and they were ringing so I don’t know why that was.

I’ve not talked to many Italians for very long but from overhearing conversations I’ve determined that the Italians have picked up quite a few of out English words and just insert them randomly into their conversations.  From the minimal Italian I know I translated one conversation between a dad and his son to be something like ‘if you are well behaved today you can eat  (<< that part in Italian) The hotdog (<<in English) Blah Blah something else in Italian about being bad and then his phone rang & he started talking & said ‘Paparazzi’ in English like 4 times & then he laughed.  IDK why it amused me but I almost laughed out loud.

I forgot to mention while at the grocery store Emisfero that the eggs are not refrigerated here.  They are close to the refrigerated foods but not in it.  Horse meat is in the refrigerated foods though.  Looks like shredded beets!  Pretty gross stuff.

Seen any vending machines lately?  I have!  Mostly consisting of condoms and cigarettes.  Now on post there are regular ones with Gatoraid and chips and NO cigarette vending machines.  Off post it’s pretty scary what you can buy from one of those things.  I’m gonna take a picture next time!  I’ve seen Chocolates next to cigarettes next to bottled carbonated Italian drinks, and beer! Yes I said Beer in a Vending machine!  I didn’t full inspect the machine but I didn’t see any way how it could verify someone age.  The drinking age here is 16. The driving age is 18.

Can’t believe I’m sitting here on a Friday night BLOGGING so I’m done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment